- Current Issues
- Take Action
- Bills Introduced 2012
- Bills debated
- Budget Estimates Hearings
- Committee Reports
- Disallowance Motions
- Guide to Petitions
- How we can help
- Learn About Parliament
- Motions Debated
- Questions on Notice
- Questions without Notice 2009
- Questions without Notice 2010
- Questions without Notice 2011
Cattle deaths on shipment to Egypt
Question Without Notice No. 435 asked in the Legislative Council on 29 June 2010 by Hon LYNN MacLAREN
Question directed to: Local Government
Parliament: 38 Session: 1
CATTLE DEATHS — AUSTRALIAN QUARANTINE AND INSPECTION SERVICE INVESTIGATION
435. Hon LYNN MacLAREN to the minister representing the Minister for Local Government:
I refer to the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service investigation into the deaths of 260 cattle en route to Egypt aboard the MV Ocean Shearer.
(1) Is the minister advised of progress in this investigation?
(2) Does the federal investigation include examining activities at export assembly feedlots in WA?
(3) Does the federal investigation include examining activities at the port of Fremantle?
(4) Is the state government assisting AQIS in its inquiries?
(5) Will the federal investigation also include information on the health and welfare of the cattle upon arrival in Egypt to determine the full number that died due to the voyage?
Hon PETER COLLIER replied:
I thank the honourable member for some notice of the question.
(1) Yes. The minister has been advised that the Department of Local Government is awaiting official findings from the AQIS investigation.
(2) As this is a federal matter, the minister is unable to respond.
(3) As this is a federal matter, the minister is unable to respond.
(4) The Department of Local Government has not been requested by AQIS to assist with its inquiries to date.
(5) As this is a federal matter, the minister is unable to respond.