- Roe 8 / Beeliar Wetlands
- Climate Change Coastal Impacts
- Coal Mining in Margaret River
- Cockburn Cement
- Homophobic bullying
- Jandakot Bushland Clearance
- Live Animal Exports
- No WA Shark Cull
- Point Peron Marina
- Protect Peaceful Protest
- Safe Passing Distances Bill - a Metre Matters
- Same Sex Marriage
- Stop GM Crops
- Current Issues
- Take Action
- Bills Introduced 2012
- Bills debated
- Budget Estimates Hearings
- Committee Reports
- Disallowance Motions
- Guide to Petitions
- How we can help
- Learn About Parliament
- Motions Debated
- Questions on Notice
- Questions without Notice 2009
- Questions without Notice 2010
- Questions without Notice 2011
Animal Welfare Unit - Complaints Received
Extract from Hansard
[COUNCIL - Thursday, 1 July 2010]
Hon Lynn MacLaren; Hon Peter Collier
ANIMAL WELFARE UNIT — COMPLAINTS RECEIVED
2468. Hon Lynn MacLaren to the Minister for Energy representing the Minister for Local Government
(1) How many complaints or requests to inspect, were received by the Animal Welfare Unit (AWU) in the
(c) 2009; and
(d) up to 30 April 2010?
(2) How many complaints or reports are currently under investigation?
(3) How many reports to the AWU are currently un-investigated?
Hon PETER COLLIER replied:
(1) (a) The Liberal National Government came to office on 23 September 2008 and, as such, cannot
provide answers for previous Government administrations.
(b)-(d) A contract member of staff has been employed by the Department of Local Government in
order to compile a history of previous complaints received and details of previous
investigations conducted, as well as their outcomes. This staff member is currently totalling
these details for the years 2008 (23 September 2008 to 31 December 2008), 2009 and 2010.
I will provide these answers as soon as they are available.
(2) There are eight complaints currently under investigation.
(3) At present, there is not a system in place to formally track complaints. The Department has identified
this as an area of importance and is currently investigating suitable options for tracking and recording
There are at least 10 formal reports to the Animal Welfare Branch that are yet to be investigated.