- Current Issues
- Take Action
The Australian Greens believe that:
- older people have the right to live with dignity.
- the skills and life experience of older people benefit the whole community.
- older people have an equal right to participate in the social, economic and political aspects of life and to maintain their independence to what ever degree they feel able.
- all older Australians are entitled to a decent income.
- the federal government must play a central role in the provision, regulation and support of aged care services.
- access to high quality, appropriate health and aged care services should be on the basis of need and not the ability to pay or the place of residence.
The Australian Greens want:
- a decent income for all older people.
- a range of affordable and secure accommodation options, including public sector housing, to be available for all older people, including those in regional and rural Australia.
- a high quality aged care system characterised by high quality support, nursing and personal care, with safe and comfortable surroundings for older people whether in residential, home or hospital care.
- appropriate support services, including home modification, for older people who choose to remain in their own homes, the home of family or friends, and within their own neighbourhood.
The Australian Greens will:
- increase the age pension.
- improve income support, tax options, and information and respite services to carers of older people.
- improve existing community care programs aimed at supporting older people in their own homes.
- increase the number of places for aged care and retirement living.
- reinstate the Commonwealth Dental Health Program to provide free public dental care for older people on low incomes.
- increase funding to enhance the numbers, skills and salaries of community health nurses and workers in the aged care sector.
- establish a funded scheme to undertake minor home renovations and installation of communication technologies to enable older people to remain in their own homes.
- ensure that appropriate aged care services are provided for people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.